Dear Fort Mac Friends and Family-
As we enter into 2018, I am filled with enthusiasm about the tremendous progress and momentum we achieved in 2017 at Fort Mac. Last year we celebrated a number of milestones that created tremendous momentum heading into this year, including:
- Partnering with Macauley Investments to build upon the work of the Livable Communities Initiative (LCI) plan to develop a master plan to solidify a vision for the future of Fort Mac.
- Securing our first of many tenants. Artlanta has been a vibrant addition to the Fort Mac community, reinvigorating the area with art, activities and a sense of purpose. They’ve hosted a number of exciting activities such as the What the Truck day party and art pop up events, Colours, Mats at the Mac exercise classes, and Monday night Jam Sessions.
- Hosting a number of exciting events at Fort Mac, including the month-long performance of T. Lang’s “Post;” Zombie Run; BisNow’s Southside Rising; our 5th annual Fall Festival with Council Member Joyce Sheperd; and bi-monthly Lunch at the Mac Food Truck days.
- Convening service providers, agencies and other organizations to identify opportunities to train and facilitate job opportunities for local residents.
The future of Fort Mac is bright, and we have our sights set on a number of ambitious accomplishments in 2018, including:
- beginning construction on the Fort Mac Jobs and Career Center (JACC),
- bringing online an after-school program that serves middle schoolers in our community,
- signing additional new tenants that will offer training for veterans and other community members,
- beginning rehab of our townhomes and offering them for rent,
- launching Fort Mac FiberNet, an open access gigabit network that will also support community education and training projects,
- securing funding for our supportive housing project (to meet our HUD commitment),
- hosting additional events to engage the community, and
- making progress on the Fort Mac Mile and other infrastructure projects.
We have come a long way, but we have a long way to go and we cannot make it without the support of the community. We are grateful for your continued involvement and participation. Please be sure to follow us on our website at www.FortMacLRA.com and on social media at for the latest news and updates: Facebook, Twitter and Linked In.
Brian Hooker, Executive Director
Fort Mac LRA